Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Blank Page


It's only the 12th and I'm wondering why I committed to writing a blog every day. This is a giant step for me. (Distracted: remember that game "Mother, May I?" There were all those different steps you could take: baby steps, giant steps, scissor steps. But you had to ask permission before you moved or ... something bad happened.)

I do think the blank page is intimidating. I watched a DVD last night that I got from the library. (Distracted: the library is having a big BOGO sale ... buy one, get one ... and I got 10 magazines for fifty cents ... great for collage and also some Vanity Fairs for the interviews.) It featured an artist from Ohio with a step-by-step guide to acrylic collage. I loved watching her process. "No, that's not working ... oh, I like that better." I also liked the sounds of the train from her studio window. (Distracted: I loved the sound of the train when I was growing up in Kankakee, Illinois. It was a wistful invitation to me.) One of the techniques she uses is to draw with pencil on the blank canvas. Just squiggles and interesting lines but she says it keeps the blank white space from being too scary. It invites the hand like the train whistle invites the traveler. She might cover up the writing, but it helps her get stared.

(Distracted: John reads me a poem by Molly Fisk about Junior Mints and I love the poem and remember the Milk Duds a new boyfriend offered me one Saturday morning in the only theater in our town and how that ended the relationship. I was a Boston Baked Beans kind of girl.) (Distracted: on our first date, John took me to a performance of a ballet troupe that came through town and at the intermission he asked if I'd like an Orange Crush. "Oh, no, I never drink Orange Crush," I replied. But it was only the beginning of our relationship.)

No comments: