Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Something I Threw Away


This was written in response to a prompt from Molly Fisk. The prompt was: things I throw away and things I keep. It was scary sending it off to a group but I did it. Later today I'm going to my women's art group and tonight a group at church that is going to make treasure maps. An art kind of day. Leading the life I imagined I might lead.

My Lost Childhood

What happened to my stuffed animals,
the mouse with the torn tail in a sweater,
the monkey with tennis shoes and suspenders?
What happened to the board games and dice,
Sorry and Clue and Uncle Wiggly?
Did I throw them away, give them away,
were they taken away?

How about the china set with green flowers,
the easy-bake oven, the crying baby doll?
the play money, the plastic food?
The set of My Book House books
with illustrations of fanciful castles
and shiny knights on horses?

I don’t remember losing them.
They were mine and then they were gone.
All that’s left of that long-ago time
Is a 2 by 3-inch photo of my baby brother
sitting in his high chair, wearing a sweater,
and white leather shoes, smiling at me.
As if to say, remember me.

No comments: