Friday, January 22, 2010

A Fine Kinda Day


So much going on I don't know what to focus on. A common affliction for a Gemini. We managed to walk today between the rain and it was so blustery, it reminded us of the Midwest. I had a hat on and a scarf wrapped around my head. It was still cold. I managed to write a poem today that I was happy with. The writing prompt was "a broken cup and a healing heart." It just came to me and flowed out easily. I've been reading poems of others to the prompt "what dogs admire about cats." Some hilarious and some inspiring poems.

I did some decluttering and made a Goodwill run to donate more stuff I don't need. While I was there, I spotted a ball sitting on a shelf to add to my collection. The shelf is labeled Self Help, which made me laugh.

John just got interviewed on the phone by a reporter from the Sacramento Bee about poetry projects he is involved in. It's like a dream to me that he has been able to really get involved in the poetry scene, both with children and adults. He's teaching a class to kids at the library Saturday which involves writing a poem about a piece of art. I'll be at a workshop for peacemaking at our church. So we're really pursuing the things we talked about when we imagined our lives after leaving the regular workplace. I don't like to call it retirement because it doesn't feel like that. Just a reinvention. With more freedom.

The other thing I'm working on is cutting down on sugar. I've made it through at least two days and I expect to start feeling better soon. Coincidentally, my son, daughter and sister have all given it up, too. My son was inspired by reading Michael Pollen's Omnivore's Dilemma. So rain, poems, peacemaking and sugar. A fine hodge podge and a fine way to live.

No comments: